A topographic survey plots the natural and man-made surface features of an area of interest using standardized cartography, presented in a recognizable digital format. It’s the starting point for any further site investigation, planning and development.
Benefits of a topographic survey
- Recognised standards. Our topographic surveys are undertaken according to RICS guidelines (Measured Surveys of Land, Buildings and Utilities, 3rd edition, 2014) ensuring a recognisable and trusted standard of delivery
- Standard deliverables. Because our topographic survey results are provided in standard CAD formats (DXF/DWG), they are straightforward to share and use as a base for further work – e.g. planning, design and modelling
- Cost-effective surveying. Our state-of-the-art scanning total stations and RTK GPS equipment allow us to use small teams for rapid data collection, delivering highly cost-effective products
- Integration with laser scanning. We will often supplement our projects with laser scanning to provide us with operational efficiencies, meaning a 3D record of the site is available should it be required
Topographic survey applications
Topographic surveys have many applications, including:
- Plotting of greenfield and brownfield construction sites
- Civil engineering planning
- Environmental restoration projects
- Drainage analysis
- Demolition sites
- Mining and excavation
- Highways developments
- Landfill sites
- Schools and hospitals
Our expert service
We carefully plan each survey to ensure we optimise our method of working to gather the best dataset to support the client’s needs.
As standard practice we will often incorporate laser scanning to capture a permanent 3D record of the site. So if more information is necessary in the future, it is likely it has already been captured, preventing the need for another costly site visit.
Our surveyors are known for being friendly, professional and approachable. We work quickly and thoroughly and cause minimal disruption. All our surveyors are 100% employed by Glanville Geospatial: no freelancers or subcontractors.